Every child deserves permanency regardless of their age or circumstances. Adoption exchange services can support permanency for any child, even those who are older or who have special needs making it harder to find adoptive homes.
Family Design Resources, with oversight from the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, has administered the services of the Pennsylvania Adoption Exchange (PAE), a program of Pennsylvania’s Statewide Adoption and Permanency Network (SWAN), since 2004. Established in 1979, PAE is one of the oldest and most progressive adoption exchanges in the United States and assists child welfare caseworkers by recommending adoptive families for children in state custody.
Services provided by PAE include:
- Administration of Pennsylvania’s Older Child Matching Initiative
- Registration of waiting children and prospective families
- Showcasing waiting children through the PAE website, www.adoptpakids.org
- Electronic matching services
- Referrals for potential matches between waiting children and families
- Recruitment and matching events
- Administration of the Pennsylvania Adoption Information Registry (PAIR) and the Resource Family Registry (RFR)
In 2014, the PA DHS and SWAN were honored with an Adoption Excellence Award in the category of media/social media/public awareness for its innovative campaign #MeetTheKids featuring Pennsylvania foster children talking about why they want to be adopted.
Family Design Resources is a member of the Adoption Exchange Association. Our PAE staff are frequent presenters at national and statewide training events.
We can provide program development, training and consulting services to create or refine your state's exchange services. Contact us for details.
To find out more about how our adoption exchange services support permanency, please contact the Program/Development office.